On 2 March 2014, acting President, Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine Oleksandr Turchynov signed the Decree on Fulfilment of the Decision of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine dated 1 March 2014 "On Urgent Measures to be taken to Ensure National Security, Sovereignty and Territorial Integrity of Ukraine".
The following measures were urgently taken according to this Decree:
- the Armed Forces of Ukraine and appropriate military units were prepared for combat actions;
- training meetings of the soldiers and officers of the reserve were held in accordance with deadlines established by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine;
- necessary financial, logistical and other resources were provided with the purpose of protecting rights and interests of Ukrainian citizens and sovereignty, territorial integrity and inviolability of state borders of Ukraine;
- the Ukrainian side addressed ministers of foreign affairs of Guarantor States of Ukraine’s security under Budapest Memorandum (USA, UK, France, Russia and China) to ensure security of Ukraine and hold appropriate consultations of high officials in Kyiv;
- the Ukrainian side ensured an enhanced security of energy facilities and infrastructure of Ukraine;
- the Ukrainian side created operational Headquarters on Responding to the Situation in the Crimea and Sevastopol under the Chairmanship of the Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine.