In order to implement the Peace Plan of the President of Ukraine and in compliance with the Minsk agreements of Trilateral contact group the Verkhovna Rada (Parliament) of Ukraine had adopted following laws on 16 September 2014:
1. The laws "On preventing persecution and punishment of participants of events on the territories of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts" exempts from criminal responsibility those persons who committed crimes, stipulated by the Criminal Code of Ukraine, in the period since February 22, 2014 until the day of this Law coming into force, on the territories of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts where the anti-terrorist operation was conducted as well, who were members of armed groups or involved in activity of such groups and/or participated in activity of the self-proclaimed bodies in Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts or counteracted the anti-terrorist operation.
The Law is not applied to persons who are suspected or accused of having committed crimes stipulated by several articles of the Criminal Code of Ukraine, or are sentenced for committing crimes stipulated in these articles, and/or committed actions which led to the МН17 "Malaysia Airlines" plane crash on July 17, 2014 in Donetsk Oblast, and/or impeded the investigation of the plane crash.
The Law exempts from administrative responsibility those persons who committed administrative crimes, stipulated by the Code of Ukraine on Administrative Infringements, in the period since February 22, 2014 until the day of this Law coming into force, on the territories of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts where the anti-terrorist operation was conducted as well.
2. The Law “On the special order of local self-government in separate regions of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts” determines temporary, for the period of three years since enactment of the Law, procedure for organizing local self-government as well as activity of local bodies of self-government in separate regions of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts that encompass regions, towns, townships, and villages determined by the decision of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. It is established that Ukrainian legislation in some regions shall operate with consideration of peculiarities determined by the Law for the period of the introduced special order of local self-government.
The legislative act is in the line with principles of reforms in Ukraine on decentralization of power which provide for the expansion of authorities of local communities, particularly, in the issues of historical memory, cultural traditions and language policy. According to the new legislation significant part of taxes collected on the territory of the local government body will remain there.
The above-mentioned laws are practical steps of Ukrainian authority towards establishment of peace and renewal of public order and security in the territories of Eastern of Ukraine. Thus Ukraine makes all possible efforts for peaceful solution of the situation in Donbas and completely fulfills its international agreements.
At the same time Russian troops in Ukraine and local terrorists continue attacks on Ukrainian ATO forces. Only during the cease-fire period Russians and terrorists had killed 19 Ukrainian soldiers, had wounded 118 soldiers and dozens of civilians. All in all there were more than 390 cases of breaking cease-fire by Russians and terrorists.
Moreover Russia does not fulfill any of recent international arrangements, in particular Minsk agreements, namely:
- does not pull back its regular military detachments;
- does not stop support of terrorist organizations in Donbas;
- does nothing to restore control on Ukrainian – Russian state border;
- continues to detain Ukrainian hostages.